Car seats are very confusing and so I hope to be able to post links and videos here to answer most questions. If you have further questions feel free to reply here or message me.
*~*~ Some of the info I will post has U.S. info but for the most part (except some of the Forward-facing weight limits) it applies to us north of the border. :)
Rear-Facing Information: Why you should try and rear-face to the limits of your child's infant/child seat, or until age 2
Forward-Facing Information: Why you should keep your children Harnesses as long as possible.
Booster Seat information: Why children should use them and when can they graduate to the Adult seatbelt
When should you move your child out of a booster seat?
* Why you should never use a lap only belt with a booster seat (or with anyone to be honest with you)
Installing and Using your Car seat: Some videos and links to help with proper installation and use
A helpful trick for installing any car seat with an open belt path
The safe swaddle in the car seat with an infant
Why you shouldn't use both the UAS/Latch and vehicle seat belt to install child car seats, There in currently only ONE manufacturer, and one car seat on the Canadian market that allows both installs. The Clek Foonf, in forward-facing mode only. The reason that this is allowed, because the Foonf uses the rigid latch/uas at the base of the seat, and then the seat belt is threaded through the forward-facing belt path, they never over lap. There is no over lapping belt systems.
Other Safety Resources:
- You should not be able to pinch a fold in the harnesses at the child's collar bone once they are properly tightened - http://www.carseatsite.com/pinchtest.jpg & http://carseatblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Pinch-Test.jpg
- Although all Shield car seats are now expired this is why they are not safe - http://www.cpsafety.com/PDFfiles/ShieldSeatBrochure.pdf
- Why you should be aware of Used car seats, they could be putting your child's life at risk - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC5ifQ6ho1U (be aware he does talk about expiry of 10 years. He's talking specifically about the over head shield seats)
- Car seat use and winter. Why Snowsuits and bundle me are not safe - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM1LJaOIu34 & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDhng9hvjlI
- WHY seats have expiry dates. This is a 10 year old Britax seat (on of the older classic models) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvCRz7BRAM0 and a more detailed explanation on why seats expire http://vicarseattechs.com/2013/why-do-car-seats-expire/
- Texting and Driving ***Warning, graphic, please don't wants with young children around*** - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0ukd7xTQ9g & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rClJW9gnchc
- Busytown Characters help tech about car seat safety - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdJmAtJ7zsM
- Some car seats talk about leaving a child in the seat until they max the weight limits or they have less than 1 inch of room from top of their head to the hard seat shell. Here is how to measure that - http://carseatblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/How-to-measure-1-inch-rf.png You can also measure by taking a book that is 1 inch thick and placing that flat on the child's head. https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/58384_416717211721870_1524673548_n.jpg?oh=45bf649a91d0b099d25407b487e8e1d2&oe=570E19B3 Remember to make sure that your car seat allows for this measurement and doesn't just go by an overall height limit.
- Make sure you are using the correct belt path (there are 2 on every Convertible seat) - http://carseatblog.com/30683/the-wrong-belt-path/ & https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/12105931_1514680478824518_2819441163920338143_n.jpg?oh=e882ad18aa30d61428e4254ab1745779&oe=56FCD96E
- Top tether use is MANDATORY in Canada for all forward-facing car seats, here is a picture to help determine what you are looking for - http://carseatblog.com/9226/what-is-a-tether/ & http://vicarseattechs.com/2013/top-tether-troubleshooting/
- How much a bundle me/cuddle bag can leave, even when you think your child is in there snugly - http://thecarseatlady.blogspot.ca/2011/01/bundle-me-everyone-uses-it-in-car-seat.html If you have one, here is a way to alter it to make it safe in the car seat https://thecarseatlady.wordpress.com/rear-facing/cutting-a-bundle-me/
- How to make sure an infant fits their seat properly - https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/10154419_527500620704400_1862433534267261476_n.jpg?oh=9cfa64f07e84ec948ec63755cff52767&oe=570E00CA & http://23ejf145mpkj40crs82u74e9.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/CrotchRoll.jpg (This is the ONLY time its acceptable to put anything between the child and the harnesses, and the reason for this is that the washcloth between the baby's legs is filling the gap there to keep the child in the proper position. Make sure to double check that your child's seat doesn't have another option to make the crotch buckle strap shorter, many seats now are making this part of the seat fit infants better)
- How to keep children warm in the winter - http://thecarseatlady.com/warmandsafe/
- An alternative to removing the child's jacket in the winter. "The Coat Trick" - https://www.facebook.com/maddie.quinn/media_set?set=a.655405427102.2211036.199108530&type=1
- Lock offs and locking clips - http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm & http://carseatblog.com/28049/lockoffs-what-you-need-to-know-which-carseats-have-them/ & http://csftl.org/lock-it-up-how-to-lock-a-seat-belt-for-car-seat-installation/
Info about selling used car seats - http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/cons/garage-eng.php
Expiry date list from Transport Canada - http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safedrivers-childsafety-notices-2011c01-1168.htm
Transport Canada's child restraint recall list - https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safedrivers-childsafety-notices-menu-907.htm
Where to find a Canadian car seat tech: